[Tigers] Bonneville World Finals Meet

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>, Alpines
Subject: [Tigers] Bonneville World Finals Meet
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:44:18 -0700
Well, I just returned from a fantastic October meet on the salt, which
does not happen very often. Last time was 2001. The world's fastest
sunbeam (wannabe), with it's jy turbo inspired turbo system, it's
tweecer driven engine management system, and my own half baked ideas of
how to make it go had a good time. Our first run put is in impound: we
qualified to make a record run. That was at 180 and change for a flying
mile. Next morning cool and a bit of headwind. Bummer, as I coul dno
tback it up and only ran 178 mph for that same flying mile. Needed to
make at least 179. Dang wind... Went back out the same day with a tad
more spark and ran about the same speed. Engine simply has not gone more
that about 5200 rpm at any meet so far. Not for lack of pushing on the
throttle, lol... my 95 mm TB is at full open. In any case, things got
really exciting when I pulled the chute at the four mile mark... I was
slammed sideways in both directions three or four times. Finally slowed
enough to get me off the course in good shape, drove it off. Took a look
around the car and found the right rear rubbed the fender lip a bit and
when I looked under the car rear suspension, found the diagonal locator
link had managed to unscrew itself, moving the rear opver by about 3/4
inch. SInce it ws dog tracking when I pulled the chute it pulled me
sideways and started the excitement! Since the meet was just about over
due to weather, We just put the car in the traile rand loaded up to come
home. Oh, the speed at which it got exciting was 176 mph. As the dash
sign on another car said, "don't sh*t in fire suit" , I no wunderstand
what that truly means, lol.

I now have to research why the car will not turn more than about 5200
rpm.  My hardware should be good for at least 6000 rpm. I have no
evidence of anything like valve float or fuel limiting going on.
Something else is amiss.

In any case, we made it home safe and sound, had a bunch of fun mixed
with stark terror.

more later

mayf