Re: [Tigers] Rear Suspension

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Theodore Brown" <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear Suspension
From: "Tigerman" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:47:37 -0600
My dad and I rebuilt a 52 Chevy pickup when I was a kid, and my father still
has the truck.  He had a shop in his town take the front leaf springs in and
're-arched' probably 10-15 years ago, and it wasn't a very good job, the
truck sagged on one side, which was probably worse than having them both
worn out equally.  He eventually replaced the springs with some used ones he
found, and the truck at least sits level now.

More recently the springs on my Mustang were sagging fairly bad, I order a
set of replacement springs, but they sat around for a while, realizing I
wasn't going to get to it for quite some time, and the original springs
looked fairly rusted up, I decided to pay a local muffler shop that does
alot or work on classics to install them for me.  The cost was within $20 to
just have them install the springs I had (which I had previously paid for),
vs taking the old ones off and rearching them.  So it would have been alot
cheaper to rearch the old ones for me, but based on my previous experience
(and not wanting to have to sell the springs I bought) I decided to just go
ahead and have them replaced.

Maybe someone else can give you a rebuild/replace experience that is better
than mine.  But if you decide to have them rebuilt, I would check with your
local shop and see what their policy is if they don't come out right.

Steve