Re: [Tigers] Tigers Hydrogen Fuel WOB/OT

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Hydrogen Fuel WOB/OT
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:54:12 -0400
Ok, that's it. I cannot stand all this eco-pressure. Enough is enough, I
quit! Tonight, I'm tearing that 300 HP gas-guzzling beast of a 289 out
of my car and replacing it with an Alpine powertrain. But before I do, I
need to know what I else I have to do to make my car as authentic an
Alpine as I can.

- Since I own a Mk1A, I would assume I would need to follow any and all
pathways to convert it to a Series V Alpine. Am I correct?
- The tach and wooden steering wheel need to be replaced with suitable
Alpine components, but I'm a little hazy on the center consol, any
guidance?
- That battery box thing will be a bit tricky, I will have to remove the
Holley fuel pump and replicate a battery box, someone have the
dimensions?
- I can move the spare tire up into the well, but do I need to
air-chisel out the Tiger's mount? Do I throw out the trunk platform and
attachment hooks?
- The chrome side trim and "Tiger" emblems need to be removed, but what
to do with the trim mount rivets sticking out. Any suggestions?
- The 1725 would be correct for a Series V, but could I get better
mileage out of the original 1500? Thoughts?
- How much of the transmission tunnel do I have to beat back into shape?
Can I just cut another hole for the Alpine shifter, or do I need to weld
in a cover plate over the Tiger shifter's location?
- What about those pesky access holes for the Tiger's shift linkage,
rocker cover, and number 8 spark plug, ignore or weld up?
- Will the Salisbury rear end work (mine's a 3.21 posi), or do I need to
get an Alpine rear axel assembly? Since I'm going eco, which OD unit is
best?
- I don't know if I can live without our beloved negative Ackerman
issues, can I keep the rack-and-pinion or do I have to convert to the
Alpine worm box?
- Shocks an springs are another issue, do I keep the Konis or go back to
the old blue stock ones?
- I know my massive aluminum Griffin radiator has to go, but does using
a partially-plugged stock Tiger radiator count or do I need to be strict
here and only use stock Alpine components?
- Of course, since my car was not an original Alpine but merely a
conversion, I cannot actually call it an Alpine. I know Alger is taken,
how about "Tipine"?

I'm sure there are many other conversion items I have missed, so please
admonish me at your will for my lack of "Alpine-ness" and give me your
best insight. Be sure to include a stamped, self-addressed envelope...

Bugz
Tongue firmly planted in cheek.