Re: [Tigers] Aluminum Heads--a downside?

To: michael king <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Aluminum Heads--a downside?
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:51:31 -0700
Michael,

Now this I have done, with my 1952 MG-TD, in 1952.  There was a shop in
Hollywood called "Racer Ray Brown", back then, who not only made seat
belts for cars, but did head work as well.  He eliminated the cast post
between intake pairs, and had the head bolt in those two places
accessible through the port by removing the intake manifold.  He
installed larger Mk II valves, polished the intake ports, matched the
intake and exhaust manifolds to the ports, and "tuned" the engine.  The
only way to quantify the results is to go from the middle of the pack to
best time of day at the drag strips.  I believe that was 72.4 MPH.  Near
top speed! :-)

And they weren't even alloy.

Yes, we did have chassis dyno's in the day, but I was a student and the
costs were just too much ($50). The new car was only $1350, new.

Steve

___
Steve Laifman
Editor - TigersUnited.com