Re: [Tigers] Snake Oil or not

To: <Rollright@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Snake Oil or not
From: "CSX2282" <csx2282@sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:42:10 -0700
>Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:43:24 EDT
>From: Rollright@aol.com
>Hello,

>Just looked at the Classic Motorsports restoration of a Tiger.

>He says he is using Redline Oil's Water Wetter.........for better heat
>transfer.

>Anybody tried it?  Anybody see the Temp gauge go down? Or is it  wishful
>thinking..................................

>Best regards,

>Jim  Armstrong
>Mk 1A 382002083
>LRXFE

Jim,

I posted the following to another list about 5 years ago.  Rather than doing
re-write I'm doing a copy and paste.

---------------------------
There isn't universal agreement on the effectiveness of WaterWetter and
like products.

A number of years ago I was visiting a shop that was doing some
machine work for a motor rebuild.  There was a guy ahead of me
being waited on by the shop's owner.  This guy had a set of 351W Ford
heads he was dropping off for some work.  He was showing the shop
owner some serpentine shaped etch marks around the water jacket
passage holes and asked what might have caused them.  The shop
owner asked him if he used WaterWetter, and the guy replied that, yes
he did.  The shop owner commented that he had seen similar marks
around the water passage holes of other engines he had worked on
that had used WaterWetter in the coolant.

Since I had also been using WaterWetter, after this guy had left, I asked
the owner if he thought it was a bad idea to use it.  He said he didn't
know if it caused any great harm, but he did comment that he had talked
to a another shop owner that made custom radiators for him.  One of the
companies this shop bought products from had run tests on all of the
radiator additives then on the market and that none of them provided any
additional cooling benefits.

I admit that I didn't see this data, so this is literarily third hand
information, but I did see the etch marks I mentioned.  Based on this alone,
I stopped using WaterWetter.

One other comment about WaterWetter.  At the time I was using it, was
sold in two forms- crystals and liquid.  Supposedly the crystalline form
had corrosion inhibitors and lubricants for water pump bushings.  The liquid
form was meant as a supplement to a water/antifreeze mix and did not have
lubricants.  This was quite a few years ago, so maybe the liquid
formulation has changed since then.  At the time I was running just water and
had
trouble finding the crystalline form so I used the liquid and added a
lubricant
to the mix.  If you are running just water and WaterWetter, you might want to
check into this.

Currently I use about a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water in a
mildly
tuned engine and am not experiencing any overheating problems.

Roland