Re: [Tigers] Snake Oil or not

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Snake Oil or not
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:31:44 -0600
Hi all,
pH of a water solution ranges from 0 to 14. 7.0 is neutral and less than
7 is acidic; higher is basic.
Why would distilled water be acidic? The water bottlers may add ozone to
sterilize the water, but it seems to me that they'd have to really work
at it to bring the pH down to 5. Wikipedia says it's dissolved CO2 that
causes distilled water to go slightly below 7.0, but not by how much:
http://waterontheweb.org/under/waterquality/ph.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water

I've always run 50:50 antifreeze and water, even when I was racing. You
never know when it's going to get cold outside and freeze things. The
main benefit that you want to get (other than freezing protection) from
any cooling system additive is corrosion inhibiting, which means that
maybe the best thing you can add to your coolant is a chunk of magnesium
or zinc... And then flush and refill once a year or so.

Cheers,
Theo