Re: [Tigers] Tigers and lack of discussion (Mustang II'S)

To: mark.rense@ge.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers and lack of discussion (Mustang II'S)
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:24:55 EDT
Many of the early 70 General Motors cars helped meet the new  emission
standards by not allowing vacuum advance in the first 2 gears (3 speed
standard).
They has a solenoid in the vacuum line that only opened when you  shifted into
3 rd gear.  Also on the 6 cyl.  that I was familiar with  they had changed the
timing from 8 before to 2 degrees.
Well, a piece of rubber hose to by pass the solenoid and a change  of the
timing back to the old setting and the 'in town" mileage went from 10 mpg  to
16.
 I could never figure out the science behind that technical  madness.  How
could there be less pollution if someone was using 50% more  gas;-)  Thankfully
they have overcome the problems.  We now have  pretty darn good gas mileage
and create very little pollution.
mark

deal here.