Re: [Tigers] Distributor and Other Advice Needed

To: "Steve Sage" <fastsage@cox.net>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor and Other Advice Needed
From: "Mike Michels" <mmichels@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 14:05:22 -0800
Steve, I have found that the blue stop bushing and the combination of one
light silver spring and one heavy silver spring seems to approximate the
stock distributor curve for the 289 as listed in the Rootes shop manual. I
tried the two blue springs (more agressive curve) and that worked very well.
Two light silver springs was way too aggressive and it pinged even on
premium.

I have the distributor set up with 34 degrees total advance (roughly 12
degrees at idle) on my engine, which has a 9.3:1 compression ratio with no
pinging on mid grade (89 octane fuel) and it pulls nicely all through the
rev range.

General consensus is that total advance at high rpm is more important than
idle and that you shouldn't go more than 36 degrees. The harmonic balancer
should have an index mark at 36 and a spot of paint will make it easy to see
with the timing light.

. I have  experienced a bog something like you describe but I think you are
on the right track regarding carburation or other induction issues. I found
that the completely stock aircleaner (1-1/2 inch filter element) with a deep
breathing 4-barrel 289 doesn't flow enough. Does it happen without the air
cleaner?