Re: [Tigers] Distributor and Other Advice Needed

To: "'Steve Sage'" <fastsage@cox.net>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor and Other Advice Needed
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:12:09 -0500
Steve
        First I assume that for total advance you mean initial timing plus
mechanical timing.   Total advance is related to the compression ratio of
the engine and your engine components.   Less compression generally means
you can add more total advance.   Total advance of 35 - 38 sound about
right; you might be able to push out to 40.

Vacuum advance, the cruise economy side of timing, can pull advance out to
50 or so.

I always recommend reading "Timing is everything" on FordMuscle.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/03/timing/index.shtml

You should always check the timing curve so you know exactly what you have
and when.
Check the mechanical timing at 500 or 1000 rpm increments up to 3000 rpm
plus take vacuum readings.
Check vacuum advance at idle with a hand held vacuum pump w/gage, from 1 to
max reading for your engine.
Record all values; this is your advance curve.  Compare it to the one in the
shop manual.

The bog is probably in the carb setup.  The real question is; is it going
too lean or too rich?
Can you disconnect the secondaries so you know it is in the secondary
circuit?
Secondary jets could be too big or too small.   I don't normally work with
4bbl carbs, so I'm guessing here.

I had some ticking noise in the lifters until I changed the 20-50w oil for
10-40w oil.

Ron Fraser