Re: [Tigers] Crossed wires - Part II

To: "David T Johnson" <djoh797014@yahoo.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Crossed wires - Part II
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:23:12 -0700
I rebuilt the front marker/signal light assemblies on my Tiger... The
white metal castings (? Not sure what the exact alloy is) were corroded
through around the outside corners, so I cleaned up the corrosion and
then sealed up the gaps with silicone. The wedge bulb fittings for the
clear marker lights were bent out of shape, the contacts were no longer
properly seated in the base, and the rubber grommets had turned to
concrete. I got some quarter-turn molded plastic sockets, and drilled
and filed the base of the marker light casting to accept these sockets.
This left the turn signal light without any ground, so I stripped about
1 inch of insulation from a piece of 16 gauge stranded wire, clamped it
to the base of the turn signal part of the housing with a hose clamp,
and then covered the bare wire portion with more silicone. I put ring
lugs on the two ground wires, as well as the ground wire from the
headlight, and then mounted the ring lugs to the chassis flange just
below the turn signal light mounting.

Those 194-bulb sockets are commonly available at auto parts stores. I
ended up trimming some of the latching mechanism off so there were two
bayonets holding it in place rather than four, but other than that it
was a really straightforward install.

Cheers,
Theo

PS: Dave, good luck on your recovery. When your doctor lets you, work up
to walking or jogging a mile a day, every day. It can't fix a
pre-existing heart condition, but it will keep your knees and hips from
deteriorating - and you need those to drive the Tiger.