Re: [Tigers] Advice req'd on engine noise - URGENT

To: Pointers <gpointer@telusplanet.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Advice req'd on engine noise - URGENT
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:43:26 -0400
This'll be fun to listen to...

Gary,

How many miles on the engine? You could try a tune up... plugs, points, etc.
and check the timing. And an oil change with good oil.

I'll assume you know what a rod and main knock sound like, and what a wrist
pin knock sounds like (much higher pitched...)

You can probably eliminate for the moment piston slap; that normally happens
when the engine is cold.

Assuming that you do, what's left in the engine? Lifters, sticky valves.
valve springs. Maybe spark knock if the fuel is really old or the timing's
out.

First suggestion, drive the car without over-reving it. Maybe an easy fifty
MPH or so (around 2,000 rpm if you have close to stock tires on it... the
diameter's the thing... @ 23 - 24"). See if it "ticks" at you when the
engine's good and warm. If it does, try and locate the cylinder with a
stethascope (or long screwdriver, but be safe!)

If it doesn't, recreate the noise at higher revs and try to isolate it.

If it's a lifter, any good oil additive (except STP... too darn thick!)  may
help. STP gas treatment, Wynns, Bardahl (I'm showing my age; are they still
around?). Maybe some Marvel Mystery Oil added to the oil on the next change.

The point is first you have to isolate it. Frequently that's not an easy
thing to do.

Good hunting.

Tom