Re: [Tigers] Ignition/Coil/Tach Setup

To: Joel Martin <jmartiniii@yahoo.com>, "Tigers@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ignition/Coil/Tach Setup
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:50:35 -0500
Hi Joel,
To make your tach work with either an MSD box or with Pertronix, consider
having Tom Hall or me rebuild your tach using this module:
http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/tachmod/tachmod0.html
Or you can do it yourself, if you want. The module has a voltage input
designed to take the output pulses from the MSD box directly, and if you're
just using an Pertronix distributor module then the tach module will sense its
current pulses properly.

There is no such thing as stock-appearing when you go to an MSD ignition. You
need to run two wires directly from the MSD box to the coil, and one or two
different wires from the distributor direct to the MSD box. Running the MSD's
coil output wires anywhere near the distributor wire will give you grief. You
may be able to use a quality stock-replacement cap and rotor with the MSD if
you keep the plug gaps near OEM and keep your plugs clean, but any problems
with the high voltage setup will probably cause carbon tracking in the
distributor cap in short order.

With the Pertronix ignitor you can look close to stock, and if you use their
Flamethrower coil you can eliminate the ballast resistor. I've tested with the
Ignitor 2 / Flamethrower 2 combination and it works well... the original
Ignitor could leave your coil energized when the ignition was on but the
engine not running, which is a bad thing.

Cheers,
Theo

<snip>

> Joel Martin

---
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.