Re: [Tigers] Magnesium Wheels

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Magnesium Wheels
From: "Pointers" <gpointer@telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 18:19:38 -0500
Just got back from the tire shop. The TPMS on my Jeep was showing low pressure
in two tires, which should not happen running nitrogen. They found corrosion
at the valve stem opening. Having benefitted from this thread, I said "ah-so",
whereas prior to this thread I didn't realize aluminum could corrode so
quickly. Scrubbed it with wire brush & put some sealant on the pressure
monitor rubber gasket. So anyone who wonders why they might lose a bit over
time, this could be it. Apparently running nitrogen minimizes this problem
(according to the shop) given lack of internal moisture.

One tire on my Tiger goes flat over winter, but lasts the summer OK. Haven't
figured that one out yet. (Basically because I haven't determined who to trust
my Compomotive modular wheel to).

Gary.