[Tigers] Magnesium wheels

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Magnesium wheels
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 22:43:22 -0400
The Miata wheels are really well designed in terms of being light
weight and strong.  I remember one article on the Miata which chided
owners who changed to after-market wheels on the Miata - the
complaint from the writer was the after-market wheels were typically
much heavier than the OEM.

I think wheel design in the 60's was a hit or miss proposal since
they didn't have CAD analysis tools that they have today to minimize
weight and maintain strength.  So, often the wheels from the 60's are
heavier than needed.

If you think you have magnesium then polish it up in an area.   Wet
it and leave it in a humid area.  Within  a week it will take dull
sheen and surface feels chalky.  Most magnesium wheels, neglected,
will take on a dull sheen and an 1000 grit sand paper feel on the
surface (lower grit number for the really neglected!)    Aluminum
doesn't seem to take an oxidation nearly as quick.

Again, Magnesium will corrode and pit in a humid environment.  As
mentioned the inside of the rim can be worse than the outside.
Often the tires become deflated since magnesium can be porous.. and
water enters the inside of the tire and the process of corrosion
accelerates.  It can even be a factor of the moisture of the air
filling the tire.

Steve