Re: [Tigers] 289 heads

To: "tigers@autox.team.net List Tiger" <tigers@autox.team.net>, Allan
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 289 heads
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
I have 2 sets of 1965 heads- my machinist, now retired and a Ford man said the
65 heads had a higher nickle content , making them stronger. he replaced the
seats and valve guides- the seats for unleaded fuel, he then used Chevy valves.
There is just barley room for them both to close. I haven't ported either set
and actually he only built one set, another Tiger owner from the north east
area sold me several of his spare parts and he had a set of 289 heads already
built exactly like mine. I am running those on a 289 and yes, there is a major
difference BUT now I would invest in a set of aluminum heads as opposed to
paying the machinist for his time. Luckily for me, when I had the heads built,
labor wasn't so expensive and as I mentioned, me machinist was a Ford person
thru and thru and enjoyed helping build a go fast Ford engine. If you are going
to keep your 260 or go to 289 heads you can increase the size of the valves-
depending on the cc of the head.
 I also highly recommend porting and polishing and if you don't have the
patience, the professionals don't charge a ton. I spent $100 on my S5, 1725
head and the work was wonderful BUT that's in southern IL. I'm sure things cost
more on the left coast.
Hope this helps some.
TOO, congrats to "would you believe" for finding his loose bolt- sure did have
the list working hard solving that problem. Next time I bet someone ask if
everything has been rechecked for torque.
Cheers,
TtT