Re: [Tigers] 289 heads

To: "'Allan Ballard'" <allanballard@att.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 289 heads
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 10:45:22 -0400
Allan
        Generally the 289 heads have bigger intake and exhaust ports than
the 260 heads.   The 289 intake manifold also has bigger ports than the 260
intake manifold.   If you are using the 260 intake with the 289 heads you
might see some improvement but the 289 intake with 289 heads should be the
better combination.

        If you have the complete 5 bolt 289 engine; I would rebuild that
engine and leave the 260 alone.

FYI: The early 260 engine rated at 164 HP is for the smaller valve heads
only, built before Feb 1964; the later 260 with larger valves was never
tested for HP by Ford.   I would estimate that the later 260 engine should
be rated at around 185 HP but I have no information to back up that
statement.

        There are numerous combinations of part for the 260 that can improve
performance but there is little more than seat of the pants information to
quantify the gains.   Just installing a 300 cfm carb might give a good gain
but I don't have any engine pull numbers to support that.

Ron Fraser