[Tigers] Rims and Tires

To: LIST TIGER <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Rims and Tires
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 18:24:49 -0400
So I want to put bigger feet on the Kitty. Lots of reasons, but the basic
plan is to someday upgrade the brakes, either to Dale's front / rear disk
setup or the Wilwood setup Tim Suddard mentioned recently in Classic
Motorsports and Wilwood confirmed is in the works. My personal experience
tells me stopping is good. Almost as good as going fast, and maybe better.

The car is on jack stands, so measuring for tires should be easy. Well...
maybe. I built a jig that fits on the front hub since turning seems to be
the main problem. The idea is to get the car a bit higher off the ground, so
I figured a nominal 24" diameter tire would do the job and maybe get me a
bit better mileage in the process. I set the jig up with a positive offset
of @ 26mm (1 inch) because I'd read somewhere that was what needed to be on
the front. A good starting point. It didn't work.

Assuming 24" diameter and 8" tire body width the tire contacted the back
outside edge of the valence. Fine if I wanted to go straight, but sooner or
later I'm gonna have to turn. Obviously I'm missing something. So I measured
a stock 4 1/2" x 13" rim. The stock offset is about a positive 1 1/2 inches.
(that is, the mating surface to the hub is about an inch and a half closer
to the front edge than the center line. so the tire sits further into the
wheel well.) I measured this way: Lay the rim face down on the floor and
measure edge to edge. Distance is 5 9/16 inches. Measure to inside lug hole
is 1 3/8" with a builder's square Center line is 2.78" less hub distance of
1.375 is 1.405" positive offset (@ 35mm).

Whew! Got long winded there. Here's the question:

When looking at Minilite, Panasport, or Superlite wheels is their offset in
addition to the factory offset of @ 35mm or in place of it? Logic tells me
it has to be in addition to the stock offset, but I don't KNOW that.

DrMayf? Steve? Tom? Anybody?

Tom
' 67 Mark 2