Re: [Tigers] Rims and Tires

To: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rims and Tires
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 11:39:46 -0400
Theo,

Thanks. Just what I needed.

Looking at the Superlite site I figured out (finally) that "Offset" is in
the eye of the describer, but "Backspace" is the important measurement.
Their's is @ 4" fo the 6" wide x 15" rim (offset 24mm if I remember
correctly). The stock 4 1/2" rims have about the same backspace. So no
danger of interference on the back side, but the front side sticks out a bit
further.

Backspace, BTW is measured differently than offset. Offset is to the tire
lip (inside of the rim, backspace is to the outside of the rim. Or I think
that's how it works.

So when I set the jig up for 4" backspace (implies 3" "front space on a 6"
rim because we're measuring outside edge to outside edge) a 24" diameter
tire is too close (but not interfering), and a 23 1/2" diameter tire looks
like it'll work. I hope.

Hard to tell because even with the engine in the car I don't get much spring
compression.  It looks like a 195/55 R15 will work at 23.4" diameter, but
I'll test it on the front before I install tires on the rear. I'd really
like a bit less footprint on the front for easier steering.

Tom