Re: [Tigers] Rims and Tires

To: "Tom Parker" <tkparker1941@gmail.com>, "Smit, Theo"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rims and Tires
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 14:35:30 -0300
Tom:

You are shooting for my set-up. I have 15 X 5 1/2" rims on the front; 15 X
6" on the rear.

I Just changed my front tires to 185/55 R15 (Yokohama S-Drive's), and have
205/50R15 86V A539 Yokohama's on the rear.

I also have Wilwood's on the front.

Some observations: this front wheel/tire size does not interfere with the
fender lips. It also provides good clearance for the Wilwood's.

I had previously fitted 190/60 R15's on the front, but wore out the front
edges in 8,000 miles of mostly touring-type driving. The rears still have
more than 60% of the tread left). The diagnosis was too much camber. I was
running 1/8" of toe-out. The stock specs may be fine for the original skinny
13" wheels, but these wider tires need less camber and toe. (but not much!)
We cut it in half and are watching tire wear closely.

I have found that these tire sizes stiffen/harden the ride considerably from
the stock tire sizes. They also vastly improve cornering and accel.
braking/traction. For the kind of driving my wife and I do (mostly touring
with some fooling around on twisty roads and the odd burn-out when called
for). They are too stiff for us.

When this set wears out we are going to experiment with taller, narrower
tires to try and get a bit more comfort in the ride.

I hope this helps with some perspective. Depending on where you live and the
condition of the roads, tire stiffness may not be an issue.

Dave

Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 12:39 PM