Re: [Tigers] Wiring Question

To: "James Lindner" <jliny5@cox.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Wiring Question
From: "James Lindner" <jliny5@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:36:57 -0400
Good Afternoon Listers

As a follow on to my previous Listing regading wiring my ammeter....Several of
you have already provided good advice and I have placed my order with
BritishWiring.com for the wire and female spade terminals I will need to wire
up my ammeter.

I have studied the wiring diagram, I have the ammeter out of the dash (looks
to be the original Lucas ammeter), and I am ready to proceed when the supplies
arrive...but I must admit I am a bit nervous about doing this absolutely
correctly so I do not burn up my car...now or in the future. I found a write
up on ammeter installation in the Shop Notes but I must admit it did not make
sense to me. You all know I have been a Tiger owner only a short time so I
would really appreciate it if somebody could walk me through this by the
numbers. Before doing so let me lay out what I believe needs to be done.

>From what I can see, the dotted line on the wiring diagram for the optional
ammeter indicates that the ammeter must pe placed "in series" between the
generator/voltage regulator (Vreg).......and the starter solenoid/battery. So
that means I need to:

1. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY
2. Disconnect the brown wire on the starter solenoid that runs from the vreg B
terminal
3. Run that wire back up through the firewall and
4. Connect it to the + (inboard) terminal on ammeter
5. Connect a new wire to the -- (outboard) terminal on the ammeter
6. Run that wire back through firewall and
7. Connect it to the terminal on the starter solenoid from where the vreg
brown wire was previously wire disconnected
8. Connect ground wire from Tach to ammeter
9. Insert bulb wire
10. Put ammeter in dash

Based upon earlier advice I am using fully insulated terminals on the ammeter
and I will also add some electical tape on the back as insurance. I also can
probably save a little effort by running the wire to be connected TO the
solenoid through the firewall at the same time I run the wire I disconnect
FROM the solenoid.

Any secrets on running the wire through the firewall?

If I do not have this correct please correct any/all steps where I have gone
wrong.

Thanks,

Jim