Re: [Tigers] Overbore run hot?

To: Rollright@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Overbore run hot?
From: Allan Ballard <allanballard@att.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:29:48 -0500
I do have the stock radiator shroud installed;
The fan is an aluminum 6 or 7 blade fan installed by the PO;
The motor is being torn down and will be flushed before reassembly.
I added the horn block-off plates as well.

The LAT repro hood will be fitted but currently is not instslled.

The new motor will be aluminum heads/intake.

The exhaust will be CAT ceramic coated.

I think that's everything.

Allan

On Jan 21, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Rollright@aol.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Do you have:
>
> 1) the stock radiator shroud installed
> 2) do you have a stock fan or what?
> 3) have you flushed out the whole system throughly
> 4) have you blocked the horn holes in the front
> 5) have you heard of the "lower fan shroud" made by that fellow in Canada
> 6) have you considered a front electric 'blower fan' in front of the
radiator?

> let me knows. I was dogged by heat too
>
> Jim Armstrong
>
> In a message dated 1/21/2011 3:13:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
allanballard@att.net writes:
> Thanks guys,
>
> Not the news I had hoped for...
>
> I do have a re-cored stock radiator, and will switch to aluminum heads with
aluminum intake, with a LAT scooped fiberglass hood.

> In your opinion...would that set of parts offset the overbore heat?
>
> Here in Atlanta it gets quite warm in the summer...
>
> Allan
> MK1a Tiger
> SIV Alpine
>

> On Jan 21, 2011, at 3:05 PM, <awtiger@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Allan:
> >
> > My experience with my Tiger tells me that, if the cooling system is not in
tip-top condition, there is a likelihood that it will run somewhat warmer than
it should if the motor has been bored out that much.  My car also has a
.030-over 289 in it as well.  There is, of course, much more that can have an
effect on operating temperature, such as the presence of performance-enhancing
bits, but just remember that the cooling system was designed for a
standard-bore engine, and even then it was considered to be on the marginal
side.

> > When I go through the mechanicals of my car, I plan to stay as close to
stock specs as possible; but, then again, that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh, I
like it!!