Re: [Tigers] Overbore run hot?

To: RObin Young <robin02@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Overbore run hot?
From: Gary <maliburevue@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:20:39 -0800 (PST)
Robyn, Allen, etc

The purpose of a thermostat is to set the low operating temperature, not the
high. Once an engine reaches the minimum operating temperature and the
thermostat is open, it is no longer a factor in determining how hot an engine
runs. If a cooling system is functioning very efficiently, the engine
will only slightly exceed the minimum operting temperature. That is why your
engine runs 170 with a 165 thermostat. However, running an engine at such a
low operating temperature will inhibit the deposits in the oil deposits from
properly circulating and being clean out by the oil filter. That's one
reason why sludge builds up in cool engines.

Cooler engines also wear out quicker when the pistons expand more than the
block expands. There is a wear chart in the Ford rebuild book that show this
increased wear.

The ideal temperature for an engine is actually around 195-205, but everyone
with a Tiger freaks out when it gets that hot.