Re: [Tigers] Rebuilding the SU Fuel Pump

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rebuilding the SU Fuel Pump
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 22:43:24 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=content-type:mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to:x-mailer; bh=wPwuk/k5yNp4Mt3PDhRM6TBmjToKoXBjRhljmgSRMOs=; b=rfNJybDqaoo1aGVE4uAGE3wDBsfb1kwwtdxxpJjuc15Rca3d0GODZbdCnnFEanaABP CrehGsWfzbuTIyumECtZylKEctILGD4owipreuIMpXajy7F2kx68D31WTiUWpvtU/BuA byOQ6gnfFw2P6Vrux47p6AOOU1MakFpHA11QL9lTcG5CyQkRRfaPV2vDzx9yRWjerfFm Au80Bj7J/iatCVqWNNYAptpsv5bh8OCQV/bTRvpQCYM0VKPEFWXFgBmAGoeXNd3Mg+U1 LyRIetswV4vQx2sgIkN26qrHSNtwRWjftoULbdqf3r7c/m0n9FuJ2g9GsZBfHCBpWZGn aABg==
For what it is worth, I took apart the fuel pump today.  Much of it was very
easy.  However, there was a thick washer and a small rubber washer that I did
not now what to do with because they were not on the pump I took apart.  When
I read through the rebuild kit instructions I found them.  One is a neoprene
"impact washer" that goes on the shaft of the diaphragm the other is a lead
washer that goes on one of the threaded posts.  They are shown clearly enough
in the pictures.

I have not done the points part yet.  That seems pretty confusing, especially
to get all the adjustments right.  Neither the Workshop Manual nor the
instructions with the rebuild kit are clear.  Hopefully I will figure it all
out.  When I do, I will write it up more clearly - and send a copy to Rick!

Also, there are two small o-rings, about 1/2" in diameter that were in the kit
and I don't see where they are supposed to go.  They definitely did not come
off the pump.

Finally, of interest, there is this semi flexible plastic bubble of sorts that
serves to soften the thumping of the gas (item 11 in the Workshop Manual
picture).  The picture shows a wire spring behind this bubble, number (10) in
the picture.  There definitely was not a spring in the pump I took part.  And,
there was no replacement spring provided in the rebuild kit.  Interestingly, I
just realized something.  When I took it apart, this bubble was pointing OUT
away from where the fuel would be pushing.  In the picture it is shown
pointing IN to the fuel, and the spring is pushing against it.  I just
installed it as I took it apart.  But, I'm now thinking I should flip it
around.  The bubble will then be its own spring from the air pressure behind
it.  Anyone have any similar thoughts????  Maybe the stock one is supposed to
be pointing in, but after years of work, if flips.  But that would only flip
if the air leaks out so the cushion is not there.

Oh, also, the Workshop Manual seems to show the intake hole (18 in the
picture) larger than the out hole (14 in the picture).  But on the pump I
have, they are the same size.

Jay

On Apr 12, 2012, at 10:00 AM, jay.laifman@gmail.com wrote:

> Ha!  I think I might have been responsible for starting him on the road away
from VB.  I had no end of issues with carpet, tonneau, and rubber. Most didn't
fit. What fit was poor quality. Then when I ordered a servo from them, it was
the last straw. I bought their "kit" because for the same money as SS I got
the servo and installation mounting kit. Once I got it, I found out the
mounting pieces were garbage and the servo was the wrong pressure ratio
(1.9:1, where Rick sold the 2.3:1 and stock was actually closer to 3:1). But
that's another story.