[Tigers] Re-veneering the dash

To: tigers@autox.team.net, Allan Ballard <aballard@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: [Tigers] Re-veneering the dash
From: Allan Ballard <aballard@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:19:52 -0400
Has anyone tried to re-veneer and match the factory dash?

My Tiger's factory dash is very cracked and discolored and I've decided to
have it re-veneered, but a couple of questions appeared.

For starters - were these dashes *really* burl walnut?

I took my dash to a specialty wood shop in Atlanta to get replacement
veneer and quickly learned that
the "burls" in burl walnut veneer are much more pronounced than anything
I've seen on a factory dash.

The burled veneer is attractive, no question about it,  just different.

Then I took the dash along with the veneer that was selected to a local
furniture re-finisher that's been
in business for decades with highly experienced personnel.

The re-finishers said the factory dash veneer is crotch veneer, /very
lightly/ burled, and are looking through
mounds of inventory for a stack of veneer that the owner recalls storing
'way back when.

We then discussed staining or dieing the finished product to match the
factory shade - but what is it?

I'm assuming it was fairly dark and nothing like the orange hue that has
been acquired by the steering wheel.

Wood hidden from the sun beneath the dash pad roll probably provides a
good clue.

It's sorta dark though and definitely doesn't come close to the steering
wheel color.

But perhaps the steering wheel never did match the dash?

Thanks in advance,

Rgds,

Allan Ballard
Mk1a Tiger