Re: [Tigers] Ignition Switch

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ignition Switch
From: Tony McNulty <bamcnulty@optonline.net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 19:16:15 -0400
Jay:

On electrical contact surfaces like these you should use really fine
burnishing material -- like crocus cloth.  This is what we used to use on
high current electrical contacts back in the 60's.  The idea is not to
"sand", but to"burnish".  You want to polish the surface, not sand it.  Even
tooth paste (properly cleaned off afterward) is a better burnishing abrasive
than even the "best" sandpaper -- although the abrasive papers available
from 3M for polishing chisel and plane blades (look up "scary sharp") would
be OK for polishing electrical contacts.

Good advise it to use your ignition switch to activate a heavy duty relay to
pass the high current (40 - 60 Amps) to the load, in this case, the starter
or its solenoid.

Tony McNulty