[Tigers] Ignition Switch

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Ignition Switch
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 13:17:46 -0700
Due to Theo's and others' suggestions that I should be sure the contacts
are smooth, and not just sanded (though it was very fine paper), I decided
to drill out the little rivet that holds the pieces to gether, planning on
replacing it with a small bolt with two nuts, as a lock nut.

I got it apart.  It is now easy to polish up all the surfaces and put it
back together.  And it is very easy to put it back together.  I even got a
perfect small bolt, washers and nuts and the local hardware store.

That said, once I had it apart, I discovered that the small tab that pushes
against the rotational spring, that rotates the key back after starting the
car, is broken.  That is, there are two springs (and again, this makes so
much simple sense once you have the parts in your hands).  There are two
springs, one that you can see that keeps pressure on the rotating ring that
makes electrical contact.  There is another spring that is hidden inside.
Somehow the tab that pushes against the inner spring was broken in half.  I
do not know if it happened while I was rotating things to get in there and
sand, or while I was pulling the parts apart.  It may have already been
broken before I pulled it out of the car.

At this point, I ordered a new switch from SS for $30 and change.  I will
put my key/tumbler in and should be fine.

In the meantime, I will keep my eyes open for a used switch that I can pull
apart rebuild the one I have, and replace that plastic part that broke.
Anyone have an extra I can buy and finish fixing the other one?

If all goes well, I will put that one back in the car and save the new one
for the future.

Jay