Re: [Tigers] Tiger MKII Coming out of Storage

To: Carl Halgren <cghalgren@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger MKII Coming out of Storage
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:07:57 -0400
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Carl, I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from the group; they're well
versed in all things Tiger.

If it was me I'd change the oil and filter, pull the distributor and try to
spin up the oil pump to get oil to the bearings. Rotation, if memory
serves, is counter-clockwise. You can oil the cylinders (more or less) with
a good penetrating oil like maybe Marvel Mystery oil or type A transmission
fluid - keeping in mind you really don't want to run the engine without
another oil change once it is freed up... And, assuming the pump will spin
and oil the bearings, try again to break the engine loose. If that doesn't
work a rebuild is in order. 289 cranks are available if needed, but may be
hard to find. Pistons, bearings, etc. are readily available. If you do have
to tear it down, have the innards balanced, and remember to work clean.

Just because the transmission is in neutral doesn't mean is isn't frozen.
Pull the drive shaft the try to spin it from the rear. That eliminates
everything except the front shaft / bearing as a potential bind. I'm sure
you'll hear from guys who'll say you can pull the transmission without
moving the engine. I have a missing knuckle that says it's damn near
impossible to do. If you decide to try, put the car on jack stands to the
frame (un-sprung) and use a transmission jack.

If you haven't already, get to know Rick McLeod at Sunbeam Specialties,
he's your new best friend. Lots of Tiger specific parts and a wealth of
knowledge. Also, if you haven't, consider joining C.A.T. (The California
Association Of Tiger Owners) and get to know Bill Graf, their parts guru.
Summit Racing and National Parts Depot (among others) are good places for
Ford engine parts.

And, if questions arise (they always arise), ask here. There's more
expertise on this site than almost anywhere.

Tom
'67 Mark 2