Re: [Tigers] Fwd: Driven Tger nsurance

To: genepadgett@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fwd: Driven Tger nsurance
From: Jay Laifman via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 15:22:05 -0700
Cc: Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>

--f46d044280cc5300cf051e01ee6f

I have had the same issue - this is also for my early 911 and 912.  There
are a number of issues with all the classic car policies.  As you've noted,
it can't be your daily driver.  Not only that, you have to have a car that
is at least 15 years old for all drivers in the house.  My 2000 Boxster,
which is still like new isn't good enough. One company said I might be able
to get a waiver of this one.  Some said there is no waiver.

Another issue is that no one under 25 can drive the car.   So if my son and
I drive to a car show, he can't drive at all.  I kind of get it.  But,
life's too short not to enjoy these cars with my kids here and now.

Another issue is that you can use it to go to work once and a while.  But
that is on a rare occasion when you are doing something else.  So if you
want to drive it every Friday or a week here and there, you won't be
covered.  That means NO coverage.  Some of them were really strict on this
- like if you get in an accident on a Wednesday morning at 7:00 am on your
route to work, don't expect getting coverage for the accident without a
huge fight.

One of the places, and I think it was Grundy's, I asked if I could stop at
a hardware store on the weekends.  She gasped and recounted how she saw a
Ferrari parked at the far end of a Home Depot over the weekend and thought
to herself that she sure hopes she doesn't insure that car!  Geeze,
really?  Us car guys can't stop at a hardware store and park at the far
end?  That's a show stopper for me. Note some others said it was ok if it
was part of a joy ride and not a weekend errand drive.

Believe me, I called EVERY ONE of the companies and asked them all the same
questions.  They all basically gave the same answers.  Yes, you can get
their insurance and figure they will never know.  And they may give half
answers about how they cover various things.  But, if you really put them
to specific questions, they don't give good answers.

I get it.  They have to evaluate their risk and what they want to insure.
They want to insure parade cars and joy ride cars, and will take the risk
for a restaurant with your wife here and there.  That's not me, and never
will be.

I guess you can look at it another way too.  I have not paid more than $10k
for any of my cars.  So in one way, if something bad happened, I would be
out only $10k plus the expenses over the years.  I know, two of these cars
are probably (definitely?) worth over $100k in investment terms.  So I
could lose much more in paper.  I don't like looking at it this way, but it
is a way to rationalize it.

Right now, I do a lot of self insurance by being especially careful where I
park the cars, how long I am away from them, how well they are locked up,
etc.  It's not perfect.  But, I'd rather be underinsured than have NO
insurance because I have a classic policy and I'm using it to actually
drive.

Jay

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 2:59 PM, genepadgett--- via Tigers <
tigers@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I did not see this post to my own e-mail and am thinking that somehow it
> did not go through.  I am re-sending it in hopes that it will go through
> this time.   Confirmation of receipt from anyone on the List would be
> appreciated.
>
> TIA,   Gene
>
> ------------------------------

and 912.=C2=A0 There are a number of issues with all the classic car polici=
es.=C2=A0 As you&#39;ve noted, it can&#39;t be your daily driver.=C2=A0 Not=
 only that, you have to have a car that is at least 15 years old for all dr=
ivers in the house.=C2=A0 My 2000 Boxster, which is still like new isn&#39;=
t good enough. One company said I might be able to get a waiver of this one=
ue is that no one under 25 can drive the car. =C2=A0 So if my son and I dri=
ve to a car show, he can&#39;t drive at all.=C2=A0 I kind of get it.=C2=A0 =
But, life&#39;s too short not to enjoy these cars with my kids here and now=
rk once and a while.=C2=A0 But that is on a rare occasion when you are doin=
g something else.=C2=A0 So if you want to drive it every Friday or a week h=
ere and there, you won&#39;t be covered.=C2=A0 That means NO coverage.=C2=
=A0 Some of them were really strict on this - like if you get in an acciden=
t on a Wednesday morning at 7:00 am on your route to work, don&#39;t expect=
v><div>One of the places, and I think it was Grundy&#39;s, I asked if I cou=
ld stop at a hardware store on the weekends.=C2=A0 She gasped and recounted=
 how she saw a Ferrari parked at the far end of a Home Depot over the weeke=
nd and thought to herself that she sure hopes she doesn&#39;t insure that c=
ar!=C2=A0 Geeze, really?=C2=A0 Us car guys can&#39;t stop at a hardware sto=
re and park at the far end?=C2=A0 That&#39;s a show stopper for me. Note so=
me others said it was ok if it was part of a joy ride and not a weekend err=
ompanies and asked them all the same questions.=C2=A0 They all basically ga=
ve the same answers.=C2=A0 Yes, you can get their insurance and figure they=
 will never know.=C2=A0 And they may give half answers about how they cover=
 various things.=C2=A0 But, if you really put them to specific questions, t=
=C2=A0 They have to evaluate their risk and what they want to insure.=C2=A0=
 They want to insure parade cars and joy ride cars, and will take the risk =
for a restaurant with your wife here and there.=C2=A0 That&#39;s not me, an=
 another way too.=C2=A0 I have not paid more than $10k for any of my cars.=
=C2=A0 So in one way, if something bad happened, I would be out only $10k p=
lus the expenses over the years.=C2=A0 I know, two of these cars are probab=
ly (definitely?) worth over $100k in investment terms.=C2=A0 So I could los=
e much more in paper.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t like looking at it this way, but it=
 of self insurance by being especially careful where I park the cars, how l=
ong I am away from them, how well they are locked up, etc.=C2=A0 It&#39;s n=
ot perfect.=C2=A0 But, I&#39;d rather be underinsured than have NO insuranc=
e because I have a classic policy and I&#39;m using it to actually drive.</=
quote">On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 2:59 PM, genepadgett--- via Tigers <span dir=
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">tig=
e" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">=
;font-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-se=
rif;font-size:12pt"><div style=3D"font-family:Times New Roman;font-size:12p=
t;color:#000000"><div>I did not see this post to my own e-mail and am think=
ing that somehow it did not go through.=C2=A0 I am re-sending it in hopes t=
hat it will go through this time. =C2=A0 Confirmation of receipt from anyon=
-style:normal;text-decoration:none;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;f=
ont-size:12pt"><b>From: </b><a href=3D"mailto:genepadgett@comcast.net"; targ=
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">tigers@autox=
r></div><div>With the recent jump in auction prices for our cars, I am wond=
ering what people like me who just enjoy driving their cars are doing for i=
nsurance. =C2=A0 I just got turned down by Grundy because the &quot;vehicle=
 cannot be used as backup, primary or secondary transportation&quot;. =C2=
=A0 This dispite the fact both my wife and I have other cars which serve as=
ble to take the Tiger out when and where I want to go is the essence of hav=
ing and enjoying the car in the first place. =C2=A0 It is the journey not t=
he destination that matters to me. =C2=A0 =C2=A0I bought the car new in 196=
7 and have never thought of it as a collectible or investment. =C2=A0 Still=
 with the recent escalation in apparent values, I do not want to be stupid =
t be of a similar mind as me and own their Tiger for the enjoyment of drivi=
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>