Re: [Tigers] 2-post versus 4-post Lifts

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 2-post versus 4-post Lifts
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 13:46:48 -0800

--===============0916013334138142562==
 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_00DD_01D15A9B.801ED4F0"

------=_NextPart_000_00DD_01D15A9B.801ED4F0
        charset="UTF-8"

There would be a difference between a car falling off a lift (or the =
lift vertically collapsing)..., and the lift falling (tilting) over with =
the car still firmly attached.  It would seem the floor structure for a =
two post lift needs to be seismically substantial as compared to a four =
post lift.  I don=E2=80=99t think the issue is the two post lift =
collapsing (vertically) as much as it is simply falling (tilting =
front-back) with the failure at the floor attachment.  Tripods have at =
least three legs for a reason.

As a lifetime suburbanite I struggle to comprehend the need for a lift.  =
Are there really that many places that are width/depth challenged and =
yet have substantial height to elevate the car =E2=80=93 especially for =
stacked parking? If you are replacing exhaust systems, brakes, =
transmissions on a daily basis sure they make sense. Maybe it is just my =
perpetually bad back, but having to stand, look up and work with arms up =
seems like torture compared to putting a car on jackstands and lying on =
the floor to work. A sheet of foam core makes a nice, cushioning =
insulator. =20