Re: [Tigers] 2-post versus 4-post Lifts

To: Tom Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 2-post versus 4-post Lifts
From: Jay Laifman via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 14:01:06 -0800
Cc: Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>

--001a114b15dc08a4dc052a802c9f

:-)   I have spent many an hour under cars on jackstands.  On hindsight, in
California, not a good idea.  I now almost exclusively use ramps if I can.
If I can't, I ALWAYS have something bigger than me under there too.  I have
this large, long block of wood that some contractors left once.  It's added
protection.  I put all wheels under too - including all the jack stands and
floor jacks under there.

Funny you mention sore arms.  There are many times when I've been under a
car working away on my back when my arms just burn from holding them up for
too long.

I bought my lift solely for car storage purposes.  Being able to work under
cars is just an added benefit.  For me, in suburbia with a tight HOA, I
have my existing garage space, with no option to build out a wider, longer
garage.  So if I wanted more cars in the garage, they had to go up.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net=

wrote:

> There would be a difference between a car falling off a lift (or the lift
> vertically collapsing)..., and the lift falling (tilting) over with the c=
ar
> still firmly attached.  It would seem the floor structure for a two post
> lift needs to be seismically substantial as compared to a four post lift.
> I don=E2=80=99t think the issue is the two post lift collapsing (vertical=
ly) as
> much as it is simply falling (tilting front-back) with the failure at the
> floor attachment.  Tripods have at least three legs for a reason.
>
> As a lifetime suburbanite I struggle to comprehend the need for a lift.
> Are there really that many places that are width/depth challenged and yet
> have substantial height to elevate the car =E2=80=93 especially for stack=
ed
> parking? If you are replacing exhaust systems, brakes, transmissions on a
> daily basis sure they make sense. Maybe it is just my perpetually bad bac=
k,
> but having to stand, look up and work with arms up seems like torture
> compared to putting a car on jackstands and lying on the floor to work. A
> sheet of foam core makes a nice, cushioning insulator.

nds.=C2=A0 On hindsight, in California, not a good idea.=C2=A0 I now almost=
 exclusively use ramps if I can.=C2=A0 If I can&#39;t, I ALWAYS have someth=
ing bigger than me under there too.=C2=A0 I have this large, long block of =
wood that some contractors left once.=C2=A0 It&#39;s added protection.=C2=
=A0 I put all wheels under too - including all the jack stands and floor ja=
e are many times when I&#39;ve been under a car working away on my back whe=
iv>I bought my lift solely for car storage purposes.=C2=A0 Being able to wo=
rk under cars is just an added benefit.=C2=A0 For me, in suburbia with a ti=
ght HOA, I have my existing garage space, with no option to build out a wid=
er, longer garage.=C2=A0 So if I wanted more cars in the garage, they had t=
l_quote">On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Tom Witt via Tigers <span dir=3D"=
ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">tigers@=
tyle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

ift=20
vertically collapsing)..., and the lift falling (tilting) over with the car=
=20
still firmly attached.=C2=A0 It would seem the floor structure for a two po=
st=20
lift needs to be seismically substantial as compared to a four post lift.=
=C2=A0=20
I don=E2=80=99t think the issue is the two post lift collapsing (vertically=
) as much as=20
it is simply falling (tilting front-back) with the failure at the floor=20
attachment.=C2=A0 Tripods have at least three legs for a reason.</div>
lift.=C2=A0 Are there really that many places that are width/depth challeng=
ed=20
and yet have substantial height to elevate the car =E2=80=93 especially for=
 stacked=20
parking? If you are replacing exhaust systems, brakes, transmissions on a d=
aily=20
basis sure they make sense. Maybe it is just my perpetually bad back, but h=
aving=20
to stand, look up and work with arms up seems like torture compared to putt=
ing a=20
car on jackstands and lying on the floor to work. A sheet of foam core make=
s a=20
nice, cushioning insulator.=C2=A0 </div>
i&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">
autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">CoolVT--- via Tigers</a> </div>
t@impactoffice.com" target=3D"_blank">lwright@impactoffice.com</a> ; <a tit=
le=3D"tigers@autox.team.net" href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; target=
=3D"_blank">tigers@autox.team.net</a> </div>
iv>
i&quot;;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;COLOR:#000000;FONT-STYLE:normal;DISPLAY:inline">=
etty=20
secure. The guy who installed mine said they are actually tested at twice t=
he=20
rated capacity. I think as long as the Tiger isn&#39;t shaken off the lift =
then it&#39;s=20
a pretty good bet that the lift won&#39;t collapse. </div>
m.net</a> writes:</div>
solid"><font style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:transparent" color=3D"#000000" size=
=3D"2" face=3D"Arial">=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 I&#39;m sure all the West-coasters=
 have been through=20
  it all before and shrug it off, but I was a couple of miles from home whe=
n I=20
  experienced our one significant earthquake, eh, 5 years ago -- and the fi=
rst=20
  thing I thought of was the Tiger sitting on the lift in the garage. Came =
home,=20
  opened the door, all was well. 4-post lift. MAYBE someone can convince me=
 that=20
  a 2-post is as stable under such circumstances...<br><br>Larry=20
  Wright<br>Seabrook,=20
ailto:tigers@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">tigers@autox.team.net</a><br=
team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive:=20
.net/archive</a><br>Forums:=20