Re: One black plug and 5 light grey ones

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: One black plug and 5 light grey ones
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 18:20:26 -0800 (PST)
--WebTV-Mail-11268-3034

To the Ducksworths':

Several reasons can be stated for your particular findings.  I'll list
what I think, tho there may be other reasons.
Since you didn't mention any occasional misfire along with the blackened
plug, I'll assume the plug wire itself to #1 isn't shorting along the
way, or this plug to be in a colder heat range from the other five.
This leaves poor compression in this particular cylinder as the likely
culprit. This low compression could be from one of the valves on this
cylinder not closing, (for any number of reasons,) or a broken piston,
or piston ring. A compression check would bear this out.  I'd do the
easiest first, and measure the valve lash (adjustment) to be sure there
is a gap, allowing the valves to close when they're supposed to.
Examine the valve spring(s) as best you can to be sure it's not broken.
A vacuum gauge would also show fluctuation if this were the case. It's
not too difficult to change a broken valve spring if you find one. It
can be done without taking the head off. Holler if you need long
distance hands.

If the valves appear to be OK, at least from a visual, and a compression
check shows this cylinder to be lower than the rest, say by 20%, then
you may have to pull the head to examine the bottom of these two valves,
for breakage, etc.

You've now done the hard part. If it's the piston that has caused the
loss of compression, it obviously must be repaired or replaced. Follow
the repair manual from here on...Let us know, please.

Dick Taylor
'73
L.A., Ca.

--WebTV-Mail-11268-3034