RE: Bumpers : Rechrome vs. Buying new

To: <corey.sherman@rcn.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bumpers : Rechrome vs. Buying new
From: "Chris N. Shively" <b_cshively@cox-internet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:56:06 -0600
I had the front bumper of my '69 straightened and rechromed several years
ago.  I was very happy with how it turned out.  When I researched
replacements, the "new" bumpers were a thinner gage and some had bad chrome.
I was only wanting a good bumper rather than a great looking one, so mine
was not triple-plate chromed.  The chroming process is the important part.
Even a good chroming company can mess up the job however.  I had the same
place rechrome my luggage rack and it is OK, but not as good as the bumper.

So, IMHO, I would go for the rechrome.  At least you know how good the base
metal is and you can be guaranteed that it will fit.  Check the chrome shop
out before you use them and make sure that they will be willing to make it
right.
Chris Shively