Clutch Slave Cylinder Woes

To: 6 Pack Digest <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Slave Cylinder Woes
From: Jim Henningsen <jdhenn@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:54:57 -0500
Ok here goes,
I have abrand new clutch slave cylinder and push rod from TRF.  The
problem is when all clutch components are together and operating, the
slave piston nearly pops out when you engage the clutch pedal to the
floor. The rod is attached to the center hole of the shaft.  The clutch
shaft is in the correct position.  The slave cylinder is mounted on the
correct side of the mounting bracket (towards rear side of car) as
displayed in the Bentley manual page 267 (33.35.01). The mounting
bracket is attached to the bell housing correctly as seen in same
picture.

The piston in that came with the slave cyclinder is shaped differently
than one I have in another new slave cylinder. We tried the other
pistion which seemed to have a shorter amount of space for the push rod
to go into, but it did the same thing.  The pistion doesn't come out all
the way but it is close.  The clutch actually works while this happens.
But it doesn';t make any sense to me.  These are all new "stock type"
components so it should line up, shouldn't it?  To help out while we
figure this out, we put in some spacers between the bracket and the
slave cylinder so it would be closer to the clutch shaft.

Any ideas
Stuck in Kissimmee, FL
Jim
75 TR6 CF35914U