Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Woes

To: jdhenn@cfl.rr.com (Jim Henningsen)
Subject: Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder Woes
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:54:33 -0800 (PST)
Jim---I'll list here some of the possibilities for what you describe as
the slave cylinder piston nearly 'popping out' during clutch
disengagement.  (This will assume that the SC is bolted up to the
correct side of the mounting plate.)

1. They sent you the wrong slave cylinder   (The flange is too thin, or
the piston is        too shallow)

2. You are trying to use a pushrod that's too short. (Should be about 6"
long)

3. The clutch operating arm should be nearly vertical (three holes in
vertical alignment) when the clutch is engaged. (See my article in the
last 6 PACK issue for more details) If this 'arm' is tilted very much
towards the back of the car near the bottom, this would mean the pushrod
has to reach too far to disengage the clutch, and something's bent or
broken inside the case, like the fork or its pin.  Don't go here if the
arm is vertical! The problem is outside, very likely in 1. or 2. above.

The SC piston should not extend out of the SC, not even a little, during
clutch pedal depression. You are right in trying to figure out why, so
you need to go back to "what's changed", or the reason you are going
thru this exercise to begin with. The fact that you are able to get the
clutch to operate by shimming the SC forward suggests to me that one or
two of the parts are too short, and the stroke of the SC cannot extend
far enough on its own.

Dick Taylor