oil pressure too high

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: oil pressure too high
From: "James A. Tabor" <jatabor@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:49:51 -0500
hi all,

i searched the archives, but did not came up with a solution.

I have problems with high oil pressure when running the car until
warmed up. now i understand that when the weather and oil is cold,
the oil pressure will be high. but recently even with relatively warm
weather when i first start up and drive the car my oil pressure is
up near 100 psi.!!! this settles down once warmed (50 psi +/-), but i have
NEVER had this problem when cold. even when the temperature was much colder.

i am using 10w 40 oil and did a recent oil change. i am using a spin on
oil filter and the cam shaft oiler adaptor hose. (the add-on to provide oil
to the top of the engine) these items have been on the car for years
now...so not a recent change. about 20k miles ago i had the engine
rebuilt and new oil pump installed.

is my spring in the oil pressure valve going bad?
i would think if anything that the pressure would be low if this was the
case.

any insights? i am afraid something bad could happen.

thanks!

james
76 TR6 in Maryland