Re: Questions about the gas tank

To: PMACHOLDT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Questions about the gas tank
From: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 06:34:47 -0000
Peter:

I can't answer your specific questions about the tank coating and internal
cleaning.  However, I replaced the sending unit gasket just last summer on
my '69 TR6 and if your tank is like mine (and I believe it is) you don't
have to remove the tank completely just to remove and replace the sending
unit and gasket.  After removing the filler neck and loosening but not
removing all the mounting bolts you can tilt the tank rearward enough to
safely remove the sending unit.  Use caution when removing the old gasket so
that no material drops into the tank.  Also be very careful not to bend the
pipe and fitting on the bottom of the tank that lead to the main fuel line.
I made sure that there was very little gas in the tank.  I also replaced the
rubber filler hose with a new one as the old one was a bit dried out.

On the '69 TR6 you have to start work from inside the car and remove the
rear trim panel in order to get at the clamps that hold the filler neck onto
the top of the tank.

Don't blow yourself up!  Use all the cautions around an open gas tank.
Frankly, if the tank is not rusted on the inside leave well enough alone and
just replace your gasket and filler hose.  You'll save some time, money and
and a heck of a mess.
Best regards,
Walt Fogle
'69 TR6, CC30689L
Woodinville, WA

I have to remove the tank on my TR250 to replace a sending unit gasket