Re: Occasional starter/ring-gear problems

To: pjgraffam@juno.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Occasional starter/ring-gear problems
From: Pimento73@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:16:41 EST
In a message dated 3/16/01 8:26:45 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pjgraffam@juno.com writes:

> Everything is back together and every 10 to 15 starts it does the same
> darn thing.
> Yet when I want my mechanic to hear it - nothing- it turns over 30x in a
> row! Perfect engagment.   Any suggestions out there?

Al -
Had a similar (intermitant starter) problem years ago with my first TR6
- after replacing the starter several times, finally figured out the cause
was the ring gear had worked itself crooked on the flywheel. The car failed
to start only on those occasions where the engine came to rest with a
certain part of the ring gear in front of the starter - in my case, that part
of the crooked flywheel which was to far away for the starter to reach -
in your case could be part of a crooked ring gear too near the starter so
that it grinds.
This problem is incredibly rare, but thought it might be worth mentioning

Cheers
Jack Mc
CF870U