RE: re sepercharger

To: "6 Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: re sepercharger
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:14:28 -0700

Hi Dan,

With all due respect, unless you were kidding I have to disagree with some
of your remarks. The SC on a TR6 motor is a bolt-on once you have all the
parts according to all I've read about it so far. I would hardly call the
installation of a Ford V8 a bolt-on process :-). I'll leave it to those who
have done the SC upgrade to be more specific. However, I can't see how you
could equate a bolt-on process which (some claim) takes a few hours to one
which requires the removal of the original engine & gearbox and replacement
with parts from another manufacturer. Including engine management system,
wiring harness, steering column alterations, etc. Do you really think it's
as easy?

Of course to be a true bolt-on I think the TR6 engine needs to be healthy.
But since they were designed to handle the power of the fuel injection
version (~150 hp IIRC) the gains from the SC would not exceed the design
limits of the engine. Another thing, being a bolt-on means it's just as easy
to undo if one wishes to go back to stock (for whatever reason).

The extra weight might be an issue but the TR6 is not a Lotus Elise in the
handling department anyway. And, since it's installed on the passenger side,
it might even cure those driver side sagging springs ;-).

Not knowing the cost of either kit or the hp gains from the Ford V8
conversion I won't speak to those issues. And all of this is of course just
IMHO.

Peter Zaborski (CF58310 UO)