Re: Brake bleeding

To: <rcotting@mgnet.ca>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake bleeding
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:56:21 -0400
Subject: Brake bleeding

> Folks - if my PDWA is off-center, would that affect my ability to bleed
one
> circuit of brakes?  After a master rebuild and all new lines, I find that
> it is proving difficult to bleed the front circuit.  I don't see much
fluid
> leaving and certainly don't have adequate pedal pressure.  When I get my
> car back to my garage, I'll go through all the PDWA centering procedures
> and try again to bleed the systems, but I was just curious.  And no, I
> didn't "bench bleed" the master but don't flame me.
>
> Rich C.

Hi Eric,

Ran into the PDWA piston off center problem on the neighbor's TR6 earlier
this week.   If it is off center it can prevent one from bleeding half the
system.

I've have always been able to reposition the PWDA piston by removing the
switch on the top and using a sharp object such as an awl to push the
piston.  We tried to use a small screwdriver to hold the piston in position
through the switch hole while finishing the bleeding job but it still
managed to move and had to be repositioned several times.  When we were all
done the youngest member of the team observed that the tip of the switch
would probably have held the piston in position.  I think he is right.

To minimize the PDWA  problems when bleeding, don't have the engine running
so that there is no boost from the servo and avoid applying heavy pressure
to the pedal till most of the air is gone.  I usually do a quick first cut
bleed to both sides and then go back and get the last bit of air.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (assembling after new paint)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)