Commission number, engine number and body number question

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Commission number, engine number and body number question
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 10:15:13 +0000
Since the conversation has turned to commission numbers, I thought that I
would see if I could get some clarification on the true identity of my LBC.

I purchased my TR250 back in 1995 from a guy in Tabernacle, New Jersey.  He
claimed to have had it since 1985.  The color was British Racing Green (yes,
this is important).

When I got the car, the ID#s were as follows:
VIN- CD2205L
Body #- 5507CC
Engine #- CC6218E

The commission plate has the paint code listed as 34, which I believe is
some shade of yellow.  At some point in the life of the plate, it picked up
some over-spray that is yellow in color.

Now comes the problem.  In the restoration of this car, we stripped the
paint off most body parts and found no yellow paint anywhere.  I think that
the commission plate came from another car.

Is it possible to work backwards from the body # to obtain the car's true
VIN number?

BTW, I don't think the engine was original to this car either.

Peter Macholdt
609-466-2127 Phone