Re: Commission number, engine number and body number question

To: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Commission number, engine number and body number question
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:03:13 -0800
Hi Peter,

I was able to obtain the BMHIT certificate for my TR6 by only supplying the
engine number.  I'm sure they could do it if only given the body number.

Good luck.

David Stauffacher
Ramona, Ca
1970 TR6

                    Peter Macholdt

                    <vze2846b@verizo       To:     6pack list
<6pack@autox.team.net>
                    n.net>                 cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     Commission number,
engine number and
                    owner-6pack@auto        body number question

                    x.team.net

                    04/03/2002 02:15

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to Peter

                    Macholdt

Since the conversation has turned to commission numbers, I thought that I
would see if I could get some clarification on the true identity of my LBC.

I purchased my TR250 back in 1995 from a guy in Tabernacle, New Jersey.  He
claimed to have had it since 1985.  The color was British Racing Green
(yes,
this is important).

When I got the car, the ID#s were as follows:
VIN- CD2205L
Body #- 5507CC
Engine #- CC6218E

The commission plate has the paint code listed as 34, which I believe is
some shade of yellow.  At some point in the life of the plate, it picked up
some over-spray that is yellow in color.

Now comes the problem.  In the restoration of this car, we stripped the
paint off most body parts and found no yellow paint anywhere.  I think that
the commission plate came from another car.

Is it possible to work backwards from the body # to obtain the car's true
VIN number?

BTW, I don't think the engine was original to this car either.

Peter Macholdt
609-466-2127 Phone