Re: 4 point seat belts

To: "6pack" <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 4 point seat belts
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:14:22 -0500
Chuck Arnold wrote:

> Try Racer Wholesale http://www.racerwholesale.com/
> for inexpensive belts.

Good advice. And timely - Racer Wholesale's "Sale" catalog just came in the
mail. And don't try to save money by buying the cheapest possible belts . .
.

> You really need a rollbar with a horizontal brace behind the seats and
> near the shoulder height to properly secure the shoulder straps.  Bolted
> to the floor of the rear shelf puts the attachments too low which can
> lead to serious compression fractures should you ever need them in a
> turn over.

Amen. I'd be tempted not to wear belts at all in an open car without a roll
bar - it might be better to be thrown clear than have the belts and harness
holding me in an upright position while the car is sliding along the highway
upside down. (Remember that I said I'd be "tempted" - don't know what I'd
actually do since I've never had a open car without a frame-mounted and
well-braced roll bar installed.)

Jim Hill
Madison WI