Re: Wood Dashboard

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wood Dashboard
From: Grego Sanguinetti <grego@accelerant.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:08:06 -0700
"Matt M." wrote:

> When I purchased my '74 TR6, it came with a brand-new
> hardwood dashboard that hadn't even been removed from
> the box. I am now getting close to installing the new
> dash, and I am wondering if, and how to finish it. I
> know that TR6's came stock with veneer dashes and
> these had a varnish or laquer over them. The
> instructions that came with my new hardwood dash say
> to only oil and wax it periodically with no other
> protectant. Does this sound right? A friend of mine

The choice is yours. How well an oil finish holds up
depends on the wood, the finish, and how you use your
car.

The reaction to the finish also varies with the wood
and the finish. Lacquer is a very clear finish and
will leave the wood very close to "as is". Varnish
will tend to darken the wood a bit.

Tung oil, especial gloss, will hold up very well. It
will darken the wood a bit. It is easy to apply but
takes many coats (like lacquer) to build up enough
to hold up to exposed use. I have used Formby's gloss
on wood exposed to the weather with pretty good
results. It is tough, but not as subtle as other
tung oils that I prefer for inside furniture.

If you don't park your car for long periods in direct
sunlight on a regular basis, then I would go for an
oil finish. If you don't want to worry about it then
go for varnish.

One nice feature of the oil finish is that you can
touch it up easily, anytime you feel the urge.

An advantage of both varnish and oil is that you
can rub the finish in. A good lacquer finish must
be sprayed. Not a problem if you are equipped and
experienced.

I am not sure I would wax it though.

-grego