Timing a non-stock engine

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing a non-stock engine
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:20:06 -0400
Well, it is almost time to fire-up the 250 after this winter's engine mods.
Guess this will tell if I got all the parts back in the right way.

My question has to do with timing the engine.  Since the head is shaved and
I have a GP2 cam, the original timing specs are history.  I seem to remember
that in order to tune to best performance, I need to advance the timing
until I just get some pinging and run-on while shutting off the ignition.
Then I back-off the timing about 5 degrees.

Did I remember this correctly, or completely goof-up?

TIA,
Peter
'68 TR250