it just quit

To: "Triumph 6 Pack \(E-mail\)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: it just quit
From: "Walt Philipson" <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:59:56 -0400
Dear listers

I think this happened to someone else on the list recently, but I can't find
the thread. My wife and I were headed out to run some errends this
afternoon, when about 2 miles from home the engine just quit. I had just
accelerated to about 50 mph, was going down a hill, and it quit. blah. I let
the clutch out a few times to try to re-start, and it just turned over like
the ignition was turned off. All of the gauges looked normal. I checked the
electical connections and found I at least had power to the coil. I opened
the distributor cap and it seemed as though the points were not opening. I
adjusted them by eye to make sure they were at least closing and opening
some. Put it back together and nothing. Waited about 20 minutes to see if it
would start. nothing. Tried again, got a little kick. Started, idled but
wouldn't rev, then quit. I finally gave up and called a wrecker. 45 bucks
later, I jump in the car as it's coming off the ramp truck, hit the ignition
and it starts right up. Drove it into the garage and parked it.

I filled the tank yesterday, but had let it go down lower than usual. (Not
sure I trust that gauge!) Could I have sucked in some crud and cloged the
fuel filter?  Bad coil? Any ideas?

Walt Philipson
'74 TR6