Fwd: Deceleration Bypass Valves

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Deceleration Bypass Valves
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:39:55 -0700 (PDT)
The bypass valves have no effect on idle if they are working properly.
They only work on overrun.  When the engine is on overrun, the large
amount of vacuum in the engine opens the bypass valves and allows
additional air to flow to the cylinders (bypassing the throttle
butterflies).  This was done as an emissions requirement.  If your
bypass valves are not working right, it's possible they could be stuck
in the open position, allowing too much air to get to the engine at
idle (and all other engine speeds), which could cause problems.

I have my bypass valves blocked (bypassed?!), since I'm not too worried
about the emissions junk.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6