Re: Deceleration Bypass Valves

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Deceleration Bypass Valves
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nelson@buckeyetriumphs.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:20:26 -0400
Hi Mike,

I'd definitely pull the bypass valves off and look inside again.  If you
once screw it all the way counterclockwise, the nut on the end will be moved
beyond the area that keeps it from rotating so any further rotation in
either direction will not move the nut and hence no change in the adjustment
will occur.  It must be disassembled so that you can hold the nut when the
screw is turned until the nut is seated in the restrains.

I've found that a properly adjusted bypass valve has no affect on the carb
during idle, cruising or acceleration.  It's only purpose is to enrich the
mixture during deceleration.

If the carbs are tuned properly, than there will likely be considerable
popping during deceleration if the bypass valves are removed or adjusted too
insensitive.  I would be concerned that the overly lean mixture might led to
burning of the valves.

If there is not a lot of popping when the bypass valves are removed or
adjusted too insensitive,  then the mixture is likely too rich causing
increased fuel consumption and loss of power during cruising or
acceleration..

I don't consider the bypass valve a pollution control device; I consider it
an exhaust valve protection device.

Good Luck

Nelson Riedel

Subject: Deceleration Bypass Valves