Prothane vs. nylatron bushings for trailing arm

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Prothane vs. nylatron bushings for trailing arm
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:49:36 -0500
All,

I've searched the archives, and could not find the solution to this
question.

While it is well-accepted that nylatron bushings in the trailing arm do
improve control of motion of the arm, I have, however, heard from *one*
trusted authority that the nylatron bushings start to collapse after 2-3
years.

Anyone like to comment on the longevity (I mean more than 5-10 years) of
these bushings?

I'm thinking I'll stick to Prothane poly bushings for the rear, to match the
Prothane bushings I have up front.  TRF sells them for $120 for a complete
set for the rear, but I have found that www.eshocks.com sell the same set
for $70.

Personally, I highly recommend Prothane bushings for the front. They are a
win-win upgrade in that they provide better control than stock rubber, will
last 2-5 times longer than rubber (if one believes the advertising), with no
obvious change in ride quality.  Some people complain that poly bushings
squeak, but after 4 years of driving my cars (daily) , I've not heard a
whimper.  This may be due to the care in which I installed the bushings:
    1) if the bushing was split, I inserted one half, then packed the outer
shell with grease before inserting the second half.
    2) in all cases, I scored four 1-2mm deep valleys into the bushing, both
around and along the bushing, and filled it with grease before insertion.
    3) wherever possible, I tapped the bushing holder with a grease zerk, so
that if it does start to squeak, I can pump some more of Prothane's grease
into it.

Shane Ingate unsprung in Maryland