Transmission Synchro problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission Synchro problem
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 06:14:31 -0800 (PST)
Ted Ciporin and I have the same problem.  My transmission also grinds when
shifting rapidly from second to third and when downshifting rapidly from 4th to
third.  This is not a big problem and I don't notice it 99 percent of the time.
 The reason for this post is because I rebuilt my transmission and put new
synchros in it and I still have the same problem.  I have heard (after the
rebuild) that if you lap the synchros with valve grinding compound before you
install them they work much better but have no personal knowledge of this.  I'm
certainly not going to pull the transmission out and do it again unless it gets
a lot worse and it's been the same for 20K miles.  I've tried synthetic oil,
and regular gear oil but not motor oil or ATF.  If anyone has a simple solution
to this problem I would like to hear about it.  By the way my trans is the
early A type OD but not original to my 1970 TR6.

Mike Lunsford