Re: Transmission Synchro problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission Synchro problem
From: william mcintire <william.mcintire@wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:34:15 -0500
Am thinking again. That's two in one day, goin for
a record here folks.  If memory serves me
correctly, there is a large hairy snap ring
located at the inside end of the output shaft of
the trans. I'm thinkin this holds 3rd gear, 2nd
gear, 1&2 gear slider and 1st gear on the shaft.
There is also a thrust washer/spacer or whatever
between the snap ring and 3rd gear. If this
'washer' were too skinny or worn or parts behind
it worn, this would allow some "slop" in the
gearset on the output shaft and may allow
sufficient movement to preclude sufficient sync
ring engagment when trying for 3rd or 4th gear -
hence the crunch. Just a thot and if y'all wish,
I'll go back to sleep and quit bothering you.
Bill
'70 6  32yrs under one roof